I posted “what sci-fi movie recommendations do you have” on Facebook. This is the list of recommendations my friends shared. I’ve added my comments to the ones I have seen.
By the way, no one recommended A Quiet Place which is a shame as I think it’s such a good film.
12 Monkeys (2 recommendations)
- Great film. I saw this in the theatre and at least 3 times more in the DVD era. I should rewatch it.
- I saw this years and years ago. I should rewatch it.
- I’m a huge Star Wars nerd and have seen just about everything. I have strong opinions on all things Star Wars. This was a very good series, even with the stunning lack of lightsabers ;)
- A dear friend referred to this as a masterpiece, and now I have to question my relationship with them, lol.
Arrival (3 recommendations)
- I love this movie. It might be in my top 10 list of all movies. When I was doing little podcasts a couple years ago I spoke about this movie. I’ll see if I can find the audio.
Blade Runner 2049
- Much better than I anticipated.
Blade Runner: The Final Cut
- A sci-fi classic. It still holds up.
- It’s been too long since I’ve seen this. I need to get back into Terry Gilliam films. What a wonderful weird world he creates.
Children of Men (2 recommendations)
- Love this. Shocking opening and it doesn’t take a breath.
- My brother-in-law and I saw this in the theatre. We were expecting something much different. I think I enjoyed it more than he did. This is a doozy.
- I’ve seen the first ten minutes of this movie like five times. But never made it further. I should.
- When I was a youngling, my good friend Eric spent summers in England. He’d come back with all kinds of crazy comics. Dredd was one of them. I couldn’t get into the film all those years later for some reason.
Dune (newer version) (3 recommendations)
- A bit slow. A tad long. Stunning visually.
- I never saw it (I know I’ll have to turn in my geek club card for this transgression)
- Saw it in the movie theatre when I was like 13. This one is lost in my memory. I think I liked it back then?
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- Love this film, even when the second act goes off the rails. The practical effects are stunning.
- I remember not really liking this way back in the day.
For All Mankind (tv)
Foundation (tv) (2 recommendations)
- I saw the first season, and felt it was disjointed. Maybe I wasn’t focused on it.
- Another “blast from the past”. I loved it back in the day.
- One of my all time favorites and it took three viewings for me to get all the ins and outs.
Into the Spiderverse
- A stunning work of animation. Stunning. There’s a line of thinking for those who work in and love animation. Animation Is A Medium Not A Genre. This movie is great proof of that. So many styles and genres are displayed and yet cohesively held together in this film. Stunning.
Invasion (tv) (2 recommendations)
- I watched and enjoyed the first season.
- Hot take: Anything with Sam Rockwell is going to be great.
- Another favorite film. I love the scene at the pool table. That alone is worth the price of admission.
- This is my new “Lost”. The shows aren’t really alike other than “oh my god what is going to happen next!”. Love it.
Silo (tv) (2 recommendations)
- Departed from the book in some ways. Good show.
Solaris (1972 or 2002)
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (tv)
Sunshine (3 recommendations)
- I watched half of the trailer last night. I stopped because it was giving away the whole plot of the film! This one is now on top of my to-watch list.
Tenet (2 recommendations)
- I need another viewing to form an opinion.
The Dark (tv)
The Expanse (tv) (2 recommendations)
- Gross, lol. Classic film.
The Peripheral (tv) (2 recommendations)
- I watched the first two episodes. I should pick it up. Chloë Grace Moretz seems like a good actress, and is a New York Islanders fan, so that’s a win in my book.
The Thing (1982)
- Freaked me out when I first saw it. I must have been 11 or 12 years old. Some vivid memories (opening sequence with the dog in particular, and the spider… iykyk). Need to rewatch.
The Thing (new)
- Looks good, I will check it out
The Thirteenth Floor
Under the Skin (2 recommendations)
Vanilla Sky (2 recommendations)
- Another one I saw in the theatre when it came out. Don’t remember anything about it.
War of the Worlds (tv)