For 2019 I chose the theme of “Compounding”. Not strictly a goal, but a single word that should be present at the top of my mind when facing decisions, hardships, and successes. I wasn’t as good as I could have been in regards to using that word to help me progress past certain boundaries, and obstacles. But I did have some successes with it.
This year, I’m not going to forget the word compounding, but I’ve been giving a lot of thought to a new theme for 2020. That theme will be Storytelling. I’ve come to this word for a variety of reasons:
- I started my professional career as an animator, which is a kind of storyteller who works with movement.
- Over the last two years, I’ve been studying and practicing Improv comedy. An act of creating characters, relationships and stories on the spot and in the moment
- I’ve been very mindful of the stories I tell myself over the last year. Especially the ones that are from the always chattering monkey mind, which insists that I’m too much of this, or not enough of that.
- At work, we use User Stories to help us understand the users of the things we build. “As a Blogger, I need to write an article, so that I can express myself. User Stories are indeed stories. They tell the who, what, and why of a given action.
- I have been tinkering with parts of a puzzle, and never putting them together completely. Web Marketing automation with zapier and other no-code tools, iOS and MacOS automation, Coaching services, Niche Job Boards and Tshirt sites, and many other “failed” side projects. Lack of focus is my story there.
- I’ve been using images to help solve problems at work. These kinds of business drawings tell the story of the company or users.
- Just this month I had conversations with people I’ve known for a long time that reminded me of the things I miss, and that also happen to be the most rewarding experiences for me. Telling stories.
- We all tell stories to each other. It’s how we communicate to have people empathize with us.
All of these related thoughts (and maybe some I’m currently forgetting) have me coming back full circle to remember my love of storytelling. By bringing that to the top of mind as my yearly theme I can refocus and create.
I’m strongly considering creating an animated short film. It’s not really that I want to animate or relearn a 3D application again, it’s more like that feeling where I want to express myself in a visual way. To tell a story. To feed my good wolf.